Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Do It. FLAVORS at The Echoplex.


I love the 90s. My little kid brain was just a sponge for pop-culture during those ten years. Ask me to describe the plot line of any En Vogue video or list every song on the Clueless soundtrack. I can do it. Easily. Any music that had even moderate mainstream success (I developed my love for 90s indie rock way after the fact) was on my radar and was/is pretty much my favorite thing.

However, there is a special place in my heart for mid-to-late 90s r&b and hip hop. Convincing my mom to buy me The Score even though it had a parental advisory sticker on it, learning all of Left Eye’s raps on the playground, dancing to Wu-Tang at the 6th grade dance—those are my best childhood memories. So it always excites me when a club boasts a 90s night. There was a great one in Boston (some bar that I forget the name of in JP), but most of them are kind of whack.

Tonight at the Echoplex is going to be different though, because DJ Spinna, J. ROCC, and DJ Scratch are spinning at an event dubbed FLAVORS. It’s going to be a Best of 1990s Hip Hop (The Golden Years) party and a you-were-only-10-when-these-were-hits-in-the-club-so-get-out-there-and-shake-it-now kind of night for me.

Starts at 9 p.m., $10 in advance and $15 at the door. As that kid Kevin in my 6th grade class would say, it’s going to be Ill, Dope, Phat.

The Echoplex is located at 1154 Glendale Blvd.

--Heather Robertson

Photo Credit: atheecho.com

3 comments:

  1. The Alchemist? When you guys were like "oh man this guy is basically playing my middle school dances!!!!!" and then requested "Billie Jean" because we were experiencing an upswing in MJ appreciation, and the guy kind of played it, even though it was Totally Off-Theme, probably because you have a ruthless "pretty please" face?

    Or are you remembering something else entirely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WAS SO GONNA SAY THE ALCHEMIST. I love that both me and Jessie felt the need to chime in on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. this was also the night that we demanded that a midget and entenmanns donuts be present at any after-parties we might deign to attend.

    ReplyDelete