Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Make It. A clean house on the cheap.





A few of the things my mother taught me before I left the nest were different techniques on how to clean the house using everyday things to save money.


Lemons, for instance, can whiten a sink that is worn down with little enamel. They can also whiten your nails and be used as a disinfectant.


The only reason I own ketchup is to polish my only copper-bottom pot. I don’t know what it is in ketchup that makes it brighten copper (I’ve heard it’s the vinegar, but other things like mustard don’t work).


Regardless, this technique works very well and without too much elbow grease. Just spread the ketchup on the surface of whatever needs polishing, let it sit a minute, then just wipe it away with a dry paper towel.


WARNING: It makes your

kitchen stink something awful. I try to burn a few scented candles when I do this.


Another tip: Microwave your dish sponge. They

harbor bacteria, a quick zap in the microwave can kill any bacteria you may spread to your dishes.










-- Lauren Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment