Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Eat In. Bacon-wrapped dates.

A popular item on menus these days and one of the easiest appetizers I can think of, bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese mix textures (crunchy, chewy, creamy) and tastes (sweet, salty, tangy) with each delightful little bite. You can thank me for the recipe after you impress all your friends at your next party.

Ingredients:
  • 12 Medjool dates (usually a package will contain enough for two batches)
  • 2 oz blue cheese
  • 6 slices of bacon cut in half
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 375.
  • Using a sharp knife, slice the dates lengthwise along one side and remove the pit.
  • Fill the pocket you've created with about a tsp. of cheese.
  • Tightly wrap the date with a piece of bacon, making sure the ends are tucked securely on the bottom.
  • Arrange the dates on a cookie sheet (I usually cover it with tin foil, because it catches the majority of the grease and makes for easy clean up) and bake until the bacon crisps up and cheese is gooey.
  • Place the dates on your favorite grease-absorbing material to dry them off a bit before serving.
Pro-tip: Since the three items in this recipe are pricey, you can save a bunch by getting the blue cheese from your grocery store's salad bar. Ralph's charges $5.99 for 5 oz of packaged blue cheese, but with their $6.99 per lb salad bar, you can grab enough blue cheese for this recipe for under $1. This trick also works with vegetables. They're already sliced and you'll never again have to worry about what you're going to do with the rest of that celery wilting in your fridge (I mean, really, what single girl ever needs more than a single stalk?)

-- Heather Robertson

Photo credit: Beyond Wonderful (I know, should be my own, but I forgot to snap picks last time I made them and I swear that is exactly what they look like)

1 comment:

  1. definitely making these for my next party! thanks, Heather!

    ReplyDelete