Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Eat Out. A good egg is hard to find in Silver Lake [Sunday Brunch].


Instead of featuring just one restaurant this week, I'm going to take you on a tour--a breakfast odyssey, if you will--of the best egg dishes in my old 'hood, Silver Lake. The fact of the matter is there are a lot of restaurants on the east side of LA that serve worse-than-greasy-diner-food (because it's not even greasy, just bad) at extraordinarily high prices. And what's worse is that they all look so trendy and delicious. I mean, they have names like, Home, Good, and Millie's that just scream hip comfort food, and yet none deliver. So, very simply, here is where you should be eating and what you should be ordering.

The Kitchen-- Herb Baked Eggs ($10). Tiny restaurant, rustic dish, delicious.

Dusty's-- Eggs Moliere ($13). Just listen to the description: poached eggs, vegetable ratatouille & olive tappenade inside tomatoes, topped with asparagus. I absolutely crave this dish.

Cliff's Edge-- Cliff's Eggs Benedict with Rosemary Potato Wedges ($15). I love a good Benedict, so I needed to feature at least one. And really, this is worth the price, both for the dish and the setting in which you eat it.

Astro's-- The Breakfast Sandwich. When you're hungover, or just need some greasy spoon eggs, don't mess around, grab an egg sandwich from Astro's. Simple. They also serve canned corned beef hash-- you know, the kind that sort of looks like dog food, but is one of my absolute favorite breakfast foods.

The Coffee Table-- Eggs From Hell. I can't stand behind anybody's Huevos Rancheros in this neighborhood, but when I want things super spicy and served with a side of beans and tortillas, this is it.

-- Heather Robertson

Photo credit: Yelp!

No comments:

Post a Comment