Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Check It. Mayer Hawthorne's "I Left My Heart in San Francisco."

One of my favorite musical discoveries of last year was Mayer Hawthorne, a soft-voiced crooner bringing a retro sound to modern soul. His debut album, A Strange Arrangement, was full of fun and sweet doo-wop tunes, garnering him fans from tastemakers like Mark Ronson and the overzealous like John Mayer. What I've really come to love about Mayer Hawthorne, though, is how diverse he is.

For one, he and his back-up band, the County, are currently on tour with another hipster fave of 2009, electronic pop band Passion Pit. The tour ends next week in San Francisco (although he'll also hit Coachella on the 18th), and to commemorate the event, MH has recorded a cover of Tony Bennett's "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." It's an appropriate tribute, and completely fits his style, but even made more awesome by the accompanying skaterific video:

Soul and skateboarding--who knew? ...Mayer Hawthorne. The song is being released via a heart-shaped USB drive (aww) with a specially designed T-shirt, which you can purchase here.

And on another note, MH also recently remixed the latest Snoop classic, "Gangsta Luv." And yes, it totally works. Consider me swooned.

-- Chau Tu

Photo credit: Mayer Hawthorne

No comments:

Post a Comment