Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Check It. Aquarium Drunkard's "L'Aventure" compilation [The Monday Download].

I still remember the first time I listened to Television. It was in college, a few years ago, and although I had heard of the band before--namely for their association with the New York punk and CBGB's scene--I'd never really paid much attention to any of their songs. But it was summer, and a friend was introducing me to Marquee Moon, and most pointedly, its title track. With those dueling guitars and the snarling punk vocals, I've never looked back.

And admittedly, I didn't look forward either. I neglected to listen to the band's next and basically last album (they broke up soon afterward, and then reunited in 1992, but it's just not the same), Adventure, but it seems like a lot of other people haven't listened to it either. L.A. music blog Aquarium Drunkard hopes to change that.

With its new compilation L'Aventure, AD rounded up a few local up-and-coming bands like The Henry Clay People, Foreign Born, The Deadly Syndrome, Local Natives and The Growlers to do covers of songs from Adventure. What I've heard so far has been great, and has definitely piqued my interest in the original album.

Get a taste of the covers album by clicking here. What's even better: the entire eight-track compilation is free as a high-quality download, but you can also make a donation, of which 100% goes to the Silverlake Conservatory of Music. Even with just a $5 donation, you'll be supporting local music in so many ways. What a deal!

-- Chau Tu

Photo credit: Aquarium Drunkard

No comments:

Post a Comment